Tuesday, January 11, 2011

People That Matter: Tom Scharpling

"Music, mirth, and mayhem" -- that's the tag-line for WFMU's Best Show with Tom Scharpling. My question that I'd like to ask all of you is: Why does it seem that no one knows who Mr. Scharpling is? I know this post won't reach a lot of people, but I do hope that whoever reads it is interested in some form.

Now, for this segment (People That Matter), I don't want to give you a background on Tom's life or career (but it'll no doubt be mentioned, DUH). That stuff you can find on Tom's Wikipedia page. I mostly want to talk about why he matters to me.

A little background on myself:
-I'm 19 years old, so my perspective on life is rather limited.
-I worked at a small radio station in Oregon for 3 years.
-I'm studying Television at Columbia College Chicago, with a focus in writing and producing.
-I have no musical talent, but I am relatively knowledgeable about certain music.

Enough about me, though. This post is for you, Scharpling. Please don't hang up on me.


Radio: As mentioned before, Tom has a show on a New Jersey station (WFMU) called The Best Show. The show is live for 3 hours on Tuesday nights (and podcasts of the show are available on iTunes). It's a highly popular show for those who know it (weird, right?), and has been on the air since late 2000. On the Best Show, callers can talk to Tom about basically anything, but be careful. If he doesn't think you're worth the time, you'll get the "heave-ho" (AKA you'll get hung up on).

The show also features various members of entertainment: from comedians to musicians to authors. Frequent guests include: John Hodgman, Paul F. Tompkins, Ted Leo, and Julie Klausner. 


Tom doesn't conduct "normal" interviews with these people. Because radio is such a stripped-down medium, Tom is able to hold (GASP) real conversations. They're often hilarious, but always honest. It's impossible to shut off the radio when Tom's on the mic. For me, I feel like I'm part of the conversation, I'm just not ACTUALLY part of it. But if I called in, I potentially COULD be part of it. And that's why it's amazing.

The best part of the Best Show, in my eyes, is when drummer Jon Wurster calls in as one of his many characters: Philly Boy Roy, The Gorch, Timmy von Trimble, Bryce, etc etc.

These characters have easily identifiable qualities to the regular listener, but even first time listeners can catch on rather quickly. Tom plays the "straight-man" in these comedy bits. And again, since it's radio, the character has much more time to develop. It's essentially my generation's version of the early radio variety show broadcasts back in the day. Except the Best Show isn't boring.

It's amazing to me how the whole world hasn't caught on Scharpling and Wurster's comedic genius. Yet that Tosh.0 guy can get a show? I just don't get it.

TV: Scharpling is also a writer. He's known for his writing in Tom Goes to the Mayor and the Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!, both of which are revolutionary in the comedy world. His biggest "gig" in the TV medium, however, has to be his position of executive producer and writer for one of the best shows to ever exist, Monk


Dear Mr. Scharpling,

Thank you. Please keep doing what you're doing. You've changed the way I think about comedy, and I appreciate everything you do. Keep having fun, and keep making us laugh.

Your fan,
Chloe.

That is all. "Heave-ho", my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment