Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Winter Playlist 2010-2011 (not with mp3s anymore!)

Hello everyone. Now that I have this blog thing (soon to be syndicated blog thing), I wanted to share with you "non-sceners" what's going on in the blogosphere of music. So I've compiled this playlist to help you be cooler.


So off we go!




1. Daisy - Fang Island


I don't know many bands out of Rhode Island (send me a link to your Rhode Island Music Blog, if you have one please), but I'll remember this one: Fang Island. Their first full-length album (self-titled) came out in 2010, and the whole release is absolutely amazing. I don't really "get" the video. Is it supposed to be "creative"? I just know those masks are scary, and scary is SO IN RIGHT NOW. You heard it here first!


2. Bottled In Cork - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists


"Tell the bartender, I think I'm falling in love", sings Ted Leo in this single from the 2010 release, The Brutalist Bricks, an album that reached #5 in my end-of-the-year list (a really big honor, if you ask ANYONE, you skeeze). The video is very sad. It's always tough to watch the indies "sell-out". 


It should also be noted that comedy's great, Tom Scharpling (from WFMU's appropriately titled Best Show), directed the music video for this song. The video features comedians Paul F. Tompkins and John Hodgman, and also settles the band's stance on the issue of vinyl vs. CD/digital copies of music. (Other video cameos: Patrick Stickles of the band Titus Andronicus and writer Julie Klausner)


3. Charlemagne in Sweatpants - The Hold Steady


It should be no surprise to people who know me that The Hold Steady are on this playlist. Here's a rumor I started about this song while at Millennium Park underneath the "Bean" (you locals know that place? It's a great little secret spot): APPARENTLY, this song is about lead singer Graig Finn's uncontrollable addiction to sweatpants. I know, right? You heard it here first!


4. Backstreets - Bruce Springsteen


Honestly, I don't know if I need to explain why Springsteen is on here. HE'S SO IN RIGHT NOW. As I'm sure you're all aware, Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run album is the best in his catalog. I'll take your word for it. APPARENTLY this song is the 4th track to that album, so the least I could do is make it a 4th track on my far superior (undebatable) "Winter Playlist".  


5. Catholic Pagans - Surfer Blood


I didn't get around to listening to Surfer Blood's 2010 album Astrocoast until 2011, so it missed out on my list. However, if it had made it on, it would be waaaaaay up there. This song alone could seal a Top 10 spot. I also like any song referencing Catholics and/or Pagans, so, double win to you, Surfer Blood. 


6. Letter of Resignation - The Weakerthans


It just wouldn't be winter without Winnipeg natives The Weakerthans (do you dig the alliteration?). This song is from their first album Fallow. I like Canadian Prog-Rock. I don't really know if they have any other albums because Canadian bands usually only one GOOD album, you know? And Fallow is pretty good.


7. Learned to Surf - Superchunk


I JUST got this album (Majesty Shredding) on vinyl because I don't know how cassettes work yet, and I'm so excited to play it! It was my 3rd favorite album of 2010. I thought this was a "Best Of" album because they've been around for awhile, but APPARENTLY it's new. And we ALL know how I feel about new music. But Superchunk proved me wrong in basically every way. It's been 9 years since their last release, but I hope it's not long before we hear from these rock legends again, because these rock legends BROUGHT IT in 2010. They win. 


8. Nothin' No - David Vandervelde


You know when you're at a party (if you don't, LEAVE THIS BLOG IMMEDIATELY), and someone you don't know plays a song you haven't heard in awhile? And everyone seems to have the same reaction: immense praise for your musical selecting abilities? This is that song you hear (and I get the praise for). It's a song that you forget you adore. And being reminded of it's greatness almost makes you ashamed you haven't listened to it. David Vandervelde, in other words, is "party approved". Check it out before I own the right to call you a schmuck. 


9. I Would Die 4 You - Prince


I KNOOOOOOOOOOW, right?


10. Sailing - Deerhunter


Halcyon Digest, the latest album from Atlanta's Deerhunter is a strong 4th release from a band that's proving itself a consistent act. That guy is REALLY skinny though. What's going on there?


11. The Twist - Frightened Rabbit 


I knew I wanted Scotland's Frightened Rabbit on this mix, but I had a difficult time picking a song. This song is about that douchebag at the bar that keeps trying to dance with you, even though you already lied and told him you have a boyfriend, you know? Creeps. I use this song to show people how NOT to act at parties. 


12. Quiet Where I Lie - Franz Nicolay


Franz Nicolay, former keyboardist of The Hold Steady, has a great mustache. I haven't heard this song yet though, sorry.


13. Little Mascara - The Replacements


I can never choose a favorite Replacementsrecord. TRY AND TELL ME ONE THING BAD ABOUT THIS BAND. I dare ya. Oh! Remember that time Paulie Boy Westerncheeseberger signed my arm with a pencil? No? WELL I DO.


14. Life Prowler - No Age


Is No Age considered Post-punk-noise-New-Wave? If not, I don't really get the name of the band. They're on Sub Pop, which makes the genre-ing of the band even MORE difficult. Stupid clever kids. Hey, why don't you remove the snob-sauce from your fanny pack and get a life?!


15. A Pot in Which To Piss - Titus Andronicus


Two words...NO. Three words: Punk Bruce Springsteen. That is, if Springsteen were to make a Civil War themed album. I like this song.
Further reading: Titus Andronicus by William Milkshakespeare. 
This song also ends with Craig Finn of The Hold Steady providing the voice of Walt Whitman, who I've always thought he drew a striking resemblance to (see picture).


(I know, right?)


And there you have it! 
Cheers,
Chloe



No comments:

Post a Comment