Thursday, January 13, 2011

Space Jam Review Still Relevant After 15 Years

Dug up this old gem! It's a film review I did when I just FIVE YEARS OLD. I found it in the bin my parent's labeled "FIRE". I guess they knew I was going to be hit too! I'm so happy to have their support through all of this, and when I win my Webby, I'll give them the biggest hug ever (luv u, moms and dads).

But ANYWAY. Y'all remember that movie Space Jam? It was kind of a cult classic in the 90s that Disney managed to let slip under the radar (how that held up over all this time, I will never know).


When I was just FIVE YEARS OLD, I wrote my review of the movie. I can't say it's my best work, but looking back, you know, it just really moves me. The fact that I wrote that when I was FIVE YEARS OLD, is just, wow. You know? I start to tear up just thinking about it!

So now I'll present you with that review because I feel it holds a great perspective on the personal issues I was going through at the time, while still tying in with the themes of a revolutionary film in the sub-culture genre of 1990's hyper-literate aesthetic. It's a little short and a bit trite, but I was just FIVE YEARS OLD:

November 16th, 1996
Film: Space Jam
Reviewer: Chloe


Hello fans! Hi! Settle down, settle down now!
Okay.
So this weekend I went to the movies with my Aunt Dervie. We saw Space Jam. Here are my thoughts are on the film:

One minute you're inside Mickle Jordahn's world, the next minute Mickle Jordahn's world is inside of the Looney Tune's world.
Thus is the plot of Space Jam, a film I saw this weekend.
But maybe it's more than that. Maybe Mickle NEEDS to experience his world's transvergence with the outer space in order to have the capacity to face his inner demons. I see Bugs Bunny as Mickle's spirit guide, and Daffy is his comic relief.
This film is almost difficult to watch. The obvious reason being the subliminal messaging throughout it's entirety. Yes, I know the plot of film revolves (and at times parallels) with the real life of Mickle Jordahn.  Yes, it pokes fun at Mickle's failed career in bassball.

In the end, it's just a movie. And a damn good one at that!

Sincerely,
Chloe

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow. So many things go through my head after reading that. I hope it moved you, too.



2 comments:

  1. haha you used the word 'thus' correctly at 5 years old? i'm so impressed

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, my parents wanted me to be in Baby Geniuses, but i missed the cut because of that damn Ruby Dee.

    ReplyDelete